Staying in touch with your customers is essential for providing the best customer service and making sure SLA’s are met. Luckily, its easy to get the last activity associated with a case.
Rollup fields can be used to aggregate data from related records without the need for custom code. A roll-up field is created in the same way as standard fields, the difference being you can configure what data to display. Counts, Max, Min and Sum of related records can be used. There is a system job which can run up to once an hour to populate the field.
- Allows quick aggregation of related records
- Can be added to forms and views
- Not updated in real time. Minimum update time is 1 hour
- Can not be used to trigger other processes
You can find details on how to set up a Rollup Field in our knowledge base article Using a rollup field to add last activity date to a case
Another way to populate Last Activity Date is using workflow. You will still need to create a date field on the Case entity. A workflow for each activity type is also needed. When an activity is created, a workflow will run. If the activity is regarding a case, the Last Activity Date is set.
- Field can be updated in real time
- Not limited to Last Activity Date. This can have Last Activity Subject, Last Activity Type, etc.
- Can be used to trigger other processes
- This can be added to forms and views
- Need to create a workflow for each activity type
You can find details on how to set up a Rollup Field in our knowledge base article Using workflow to add last activity date to a case
So there we have it. The quickest and simplest way to get the Last Activity Date is to create a Rollup Field, however, if you are looking for extra functionality then using workflows instead may be the answer.